Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Rising Star: PHRONESIS

Meet one of Naija up coming comedian,Chukwuemeka Emmanuel Ubido, fondly called Phronesis.
Phronesis is unique and outstanding, he is one of the few up coming comedians in Africa, that has great command of English Language, he is a very spontaneous, Intelligent and witty comedian.
He is currently studying Psychology at the prestigious University of Lagos. Just recently, he was qualified for Alibaba spontaneity, a show where you are asked to pick a topic on stage and make a joke out of it on the spot.
Emeka, has anchored sparsely a Large number of events from weddings, Book Launches, Company end of the year party, schools events, Birthdays. Trust me he is one comedian to get for your event!
Recently in an interview with Comedy Plus Magazine, Phronesis revealed his favourite Naija comedians, his aspiration, the secret behind his name and others.

How long have you been on stage?
5 years now. I started professionally 5 years ago

When did you discover your talent in comedy?
When I was in secondary school, in 2005. But went into it professionally in 2010. Obviously that was when I started getting paid.

In a sentence, describe yourself.
I am a very selfless Loving person with a big heart that accepts anybody, am also very flexible and can adapt to any situation.

What inspires you into going into comedy?
Love to see people happy, I get fulfilment from seeing people happy. It's a calling I believe I Love , I would have given up a long time ago, even my mum discouraged me at some point, but two things kept me going, God and Passion.

How did you come about the name phronesis?
I was the leader of a Drama team in a church sometime in 2007, and I formed a drama team called "Amazing Tekno" and our Aka was PHRONESIS Which was just a slogan and a name I added, That's how I imbibed the name, "PHRONESIS" And the origin of the name is Greek, And it means wisdom.

Your profile says you are currently studying Psychology, how do you intend to combine psychology with comedy?

Well life itself is psychological. The study of the human mind, how it works, the madness going on in the world. A comedian is a psychologist.


How?
Because what the intelligent ones do Is when they get to an event they study the people, understanding them, their background, religion before knowing the kind of joke that would work for them, So we study human behaviour in a way

Who are your Naija comedy role models?
They are Just three, Bovi: because his jokes are intelligent and political, Basket mouth: his jokes are punchy and knows no Bounds, Alibaba: all in all, witty, extremely intelligent, king of word play and of course spontaneity.

Every one now host comedy shows, when is yours coming up?
Well I have done comedy shows in the past, the last show I did was in 2014. And what I am heading to doing now is a one man comedy show where I will perform for maybe an hour or two, that's how comedy shows should be done

What challenges are you facing as an up coming comedian?
It's a challenge that everybody doing Business faces too,and that is financial challenge. but it's no Big deal because you still have to work it out, sometimes you want to do a project and you have to source for the whole resources

What are your aspiration?
To become one of the leading and renowned comedian Africa ever produced and to do tours in and out of Africa
Comedy+... another name for entertainment.
Info: 08027354505, 09092401632
Mail: comedyplusmag@yahoo.com
BBM: 2BA4031D
BBM Channel: C0048B037
Twit: @comedyplusmag

No comments:

Post a Comment